Who qualifies for bariatric surgery?
Surgery is not right for everyone. Here are some of the things we will consider when evaluating whether you are suitable for obesity surgery.
Most importantly, the risk of obesity must outweigh the risks of surgery.
- Age 16 to about 65 (ages outside this range will be considered individually)
- Your BMI is 40 or above OR your BMI is 35-40 and you have a health risk associated with your obesity e.g. diabetes, high cholesterol etc
- You are fit for anaesthetic
- You have tried to lose weight through other methods
- You do not have a serious, uncontrolled psychiatric disorder
- You are not addicted to alcohol or drugs
- You are willing to continue being monitored by the specialist team