We run free-of-charge information evenings in our Charlestown clinic after hours, usually on a monthly basis. These sessions are given by the surgeons who perform the operations, and it is an ideal time to come along and ask any questions that you might need answered to help you make the decision about whether bariatric surgery is the answer for you. The sessions usually start at 6.30 and run for approximately 2 hours including a question and answer time. Numbers are always limited due to COVID restrictions, so please call beforehand to book your place.
Contact the clinic on 4032 8777 to find out when the next one has been scheduled for.
Please note it is not compulsory to attend one of these sessions before making an appointment to see our doctors, but it is highly recommended. If you cannot attend we ask that you please contact the clinic and we can also email or post you the information that you would receive.
Who qualifies for bariatric surgery?
Surgery is not right for everyone. Here are some of the things we will consider when evaluating whether you are suitable for obesity surgery.
Most importantly, the risk of obesity must outweigh the risks of surgery.
- Age 16 to about 65 (ages outside this range will be considered individually)
- Your BMI is 35 or above OR your BMI is 30-35 and you have a health risk associated with your obesity e.g. diabetes, high cholesterol etc
- You are fit for anaesthetic
- You have tried to lose weight through other methods
- You do not have a serious, uncontrolled psychiatric disorder
- You are not addicted to alcohol or drugs
- You are willing to continue being monitored by the specialist team